B.E.S.T. Celebrates Black History Month With:
DR. LILLIE M. CARROLL JACKSON
Called “Dr. Lillie,” “Ma Jackson,” and the “mother of the civil rights movement,” Dr. Lillie M. Carroll Jackson pioneered the non-violent tactics of the civil rights movement of the 1960s.
From 1935 to 1970 Jackson was the president of the NAACP’s Baltimore chapter. She ran several grass-roots campaigns to end racial segregation in Maryland including the “Buy Where You Can Work” campaign of 1931 that helped persuade black residents of Baltimore to boycott businesses with racist employment practices.
Dr. Jackson also led a 1942 movement to register black voters. Dr. Jackson participated in the Baltimore NAACP’s efforts to win equalization of pay for white and black teachers in public schools (1938); to win black admission to the University of Maryland School of Law (1953); to pass Baltimore’s Fair Employment Practices law (1958); and to desegregate public recreational and educational facilities.
At her death in 1975, her home of 22 years at 1320 Eutaw Place was converted into the Lillie Carroll Jackson Museum according to her will. The property now belongs to Morgan State University which has plans to renovate it and reopen it to the public.
Learn more about this impactful and determined woman who helped to open doors for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Thurgood Marshall, and many more.
(Credit to the Maryland State Archives)